I got a “Lockdown in Sector 4” error message from GMail about three weeks ago. I think it was due to the fact that a mail wouldn’t send as my net connection had temporarily dropped but whatever happened I got locked out for 24 hours. I sent an email to Google explaining the situation and what I thought had caused it. I got back this generic reply:
Our system has detected abnormal usage of your Gmail account. As a result, we have temporarily disabled access to this account.
It will take between one minute and 24 hours for you to regain access, depending on the behavior our system detected.
Your account may be temporarily disabled if, among other things, you are:
– sending or receiving an excessive volume of mail
– using any third-party software that automatically logs in to your account and is not supported by Gmail
For your protection, we ask that you disable any non-supported software before accessing Gmail again.
If you feel that access to this account should not have been disabled, please respond to the following questions:
1. List the date and time of day when you were locked out of the account.
2. What task were you performing when you were locked out? (ex: sending an email, downloading an attachment, etc.)
3. Has access to your account been disabled before this occurrence? If so, when and for how long?
4. Indicate which of the following, if any, Gmail features you use: POP, auto-forwarding, or Gmail’s Notifier
5. Are you using any type of browser extensions? If so, please specify.
6. Do you use any third-party software in conjunction with Gmail? If so, please specify.
The Gmail Team
I duly responded and got back an automated reply along the same lines as the mail above. The problem is that I’m still getting these errors on and off. I got one this morning and the account was back 30 seconds later. I’m gonna clear the cache in case it’s something to do with that but Google need to look at their support on GMail and come up with better explanations on why people are being locked out. Dave and Ben seem to have had the same issue.