Well, it’s about a month old now but I love it. I had been contemplating getting a laptop for the past six months or so. My desktop machine is about 4 years old and, while it was pretty fast back in the day, the Windows XP installation has slowed down considerably. Another factor was the impending development of two web sites, where I would be meeting clients to show off work etc.
I had decided to go with a Dell anyway so their January sale provided the opportunity I needed. In saying that, I was seriously stuck in two minds on whether to get the 15″ or, the model I ended up getting in the end, 13″ screen. In the end I’m delighted I went for the latter as it’s very light and the screen (White-LED) is fantastic. Granted, I don’t have as much desktop real estate as I do in work or on my desktop but it’s not a bad trade off. Unfortunately, Dell don’t sell the model I got with Windows XP so I had to re-format and install it with associated drivers etc (excellent m1330 driver resource here).
The specs are in an extended entry for those interested:
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7500 (2.20 GHz, 800 MHz FSB, 4 MB L2-cache)
- Hard Drive: 250GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
- RAM: 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM [2×1024]
- Graphics Card: 128MB nVidia GeForce® 8400M GS
- Optical Drive: Fixed 8x DVD+/-RW Slim Slot Load Drive
- Wireless + Bluetooth connectivity
- Battery: 9-cell Lithium-Ion
- Web cam: 0.3 mega pixel
- Colour: Crimson Red